Sunday, November 3, 2019

#coffeeneuring 2019: Wandrering in the 'burbs


I have a new addiction: Not only do I collect tiles, I have started collecting roads on the Wandrer app. In short, where with VeloViewer's Explorer Squares the goal is just to ride any road in a given square on the map, Wandrer makes you ride every road in your neighborhood, city, county, country, or the world! My Explorer Square is pretty sizeable at this point, which means that to get new squares I have to ride a long way. Wandrer of course has many more roads to collect, even just within my neighborhood. This makes it great for combining it with a coffeeneuring ride on a rather grey day.



I picked a Starbucks in suburban Fitchburg as my destination. I know, I know... Usually I try to avoid chain coffee shops for coffeeneuring (and in general). However, for weekend coffeeneuring they do have the advantage of staying open longer than most local coffee shops.



As for the route, I made a plan for picking up some local road very close to my starting point and then just play it by ear. By doing that I discovered some good stuff: fun leftover Halloween decorations, quiet residential streets, sandhill cranes, the freshly repaved Cap City Trail. But for the most part it was: depressing single-family greenfield development at the edge of town, three car garages, overly wide cul-de-sac roads, car-centric malls -- you know the type.



Rider name: Harald
Ride #: 5
Date: 11/3
Total mileage: 35ish mi (50ish km); forgot to turn back on my Strava after a stop at Aldi
Drink: small Pike Place in a paper cup. Only upside: In a seriously backlogged Starbucks, I got my drink immediately
Location: Starbucks inside the Target on McKee Road, Fitchburg (WI)
Podcast: Die wundersame Fahrradwelt [The wonderful bicycle world]. This is a great German podcast by Johanna Jahnke, an accomplished amateur fixed gear racer and ultracyclist. For this episode she spent over two hours chatting with Fiona Kolbinger, who won this year's Transcontinental Race.


No comments:

Post a Comment