Friday, October 11, 2019

#coffeeneuring 2019: A damp start into the season



It's Coffeeneuring season once again -- and I got another early start this year.

I had tried to get a little group together by advertising the ride among my local FB riding group, but between the timing -- 6:30-7 am -- and the weather forecast, I didn't get anything but a handful of "maybes." My alarm went off at 5:30 am. I was prepared for rain but wasn't sure how bad it would be. A glance at the weather radar looked promising: One system had just passed through and it seemed like the next one was still farther west. Well, don't trust the interwebs: As soon as I left the house, I knew that it would be a wet ride. It was warm, blustery, and the air was filled with something between mist and rain.

Coffee's ready!

The destination for the morning was McDaniel Park in McFarland. In theory, the ride there is very scenic: almost all on trails, including a long boardwalk along a lake. In practice, today it was too dark and rainy to see much.

Arrived at the park. No daylight yet, just my BUMM headlight
I arrived at the park at 6:28 am and, as expected, I was the only person there. I had picked McDaniel Park partly because it offers a picnic shelter for conditions like today's. The shelter certainly helped, but even then the wind howled across the open lake and made it difficult to keep my coffee-making supplies in place. One hand on the wind screen, the other holding on to my improvised tablecloth or whatever was being blown away at that moment...

Heading back on the boardwalk
After enjoying my cup of coffee as it slowly got lighter, I didn't linger long. The rain accompanied me on the way to my meeting downtown, and I was glad to have brought a change of clothes.
Short respite from the rain in our famous Monona Terrace bike elevator

Rides like today's are what coffeeneuring is all about for me: Without the challenge I certainly wouldn't have ridden 20 miles on a day, or had coffee anywhere but on my couch.
Arriving at work, now really soaked

Rider name: Harald
Ride #: 1
Date: 10/11
Total mileage: 19 mi (31 km)
Drink: Equal Exchange Breakfast Blend, prepared in a Moka Express on a DIY alcohol stove
Location: McDaniel Park, McFarland (WI)

PS Apologies for all the selfies and potato-quality pics. In the morning rush I had left my proper camera at home.


No comments:

Post a Comment