Sunday, November 10, 2019

#coffeeneuring 2019: The Northern Edge of Dane

The below-average temperatures and above-average snowfall have continued in Wisconsin. So it was a relief to see slightly milder temperatures forecast for Saturday. Whereas last week I kept my ride rather short and focused on collecting roads, this week I was determined to get more VeloViewer tiles. That meant heading northwest, and then following the northern border of Dane County east. My intermediate destination was Sun Prairie, where a 'cross race would take place.

At the county border


What made the ride more challenging was that I was on my fixed-gear Cross-Check with studded tires. Last year I had put on the Schwalbe Marathon Winters on November 17; this year I had to grudgingly install them two weeks earlier than that. The tires have very stiff sidewalls, and so etween the studded tires and the sometimes rough roads, I felt pretty beat up by the end of the ride.

With no great coffee option along the route, I brought my own

 There was still plenty of snow on the ground, but the roads were almost completely clear. I loved seeing the contrast between the white snow and the remaining leaves on trees and cornfields that hadn't been harvested yet.
Northern Dane County has many very straight roads


Not too steep, not too long for my fixie
Not exactly sure what makes Morrisonville "Frogtown USA"


 I arrived at the race course in Sun Prairie just in time to see my friend Kierstin depart. She had taken the direct route to the race in the morning in order to cheer on friends and team mates. I also saw some other familiar faces watching the race: Andy, who kindly threw me a can of Hamm's, and Baltazar and Mark. The race was horribly muddy, which made for good spectating and picture taking.
Enjoying my coffee, 55 miles into the ride






I believe this was my longest ever fixed gear ride on studded tires, with 6 hours on the bike. Hard, but very satisfying. Oh, and I did get 23 new tiles!

Rider name: Harald
Ride #: 6
Date: 11/10
Total mileage: 76 mi (122 km)
Drink: Cafe latte (2 shots with Equal Exchange Breakfast Blend, oat milk from Trader Joe's)
Location: Sheehan Park, Sun Prairie (WI)
Music: Nile – Vile Nilotic Rites
New gear: I finally threw out my almost 10-year-old Lake MXZ-302s winter boots and replaced them with the successor model.


No comments:

Post a Comment